Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2018

Epic epitaphs

Yesterday the class went on a field trip to  Unitarian Church in Charleston and also went to second presbyterian church in Charleston.  Even though I could not make it because I was out of town I went on Saturday. 


Image result for charleston unitarian church
We went to these graveyards to see what the family member choose to put on their grave.  That is what a epitaphs is. It is a way on how to family can remember there loved one.They are mostly bible versus that mean something important to the family. 


Their name was: Augustine Thomas Smyth and Nancy Conner Smyth
Second Presbyterian Church
It is a die on base 
Epitaph: "For him honesty was the nurtrient which gave him the rare strength to be right with God, to be right with himself, to be right with his family and to be true to his fellows."
I do not know the source 




I cant read the name
At the second second Presbyterian church 
die on base
My beloved is gone, down into his garden into the beds of spices to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies."
it is a bible verse in salmon 

Name: Andrew Moffett Adger
it is at the second presbyterian church 
box tomb 
"I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed to him against that day."

bible verse 



Name: Rev. Samuel Gilman, D.D., Eliza Webb Lippitt , and Caroline Howard Gilman 
this is at Unitarian Church of Charleston
this is a pedestal grave marker
"And now I rest with thee my home." "They were lovely and pleasant in their lives together." "He giveth his beloved sleep."
this is a bible verse 





Melvin Hasell
this is at the Presbyterian church 
grave marker is a tomb stone 
"In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me." 
not sure where this one is from


Lt col charles Irvin
this is atUnitarian Church
" "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. 
john bible verse 

No comments:

Post a Comment